2008 Silverado LTZ Installation

2008 Silverado LTZ Installation

Postby Mystic38 » April 12th, 2012, 3:56 pm

I spent ages looking for help on the web, so i thought i would condense my findings and installation tips here..
for a video thats similar, checkout http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkoglsnQMvo in this case, the vehicle wiring harnesses are different to the silverado in length and location ..but its a good general start..

1. So you knw, the onstar module is behind the a/c controls.
2. Simply "Take off the trim around the radio.." fat chance.. there is nothing simple about it..
a) plastic trim tools wont work
b) get a 1" wide steel rule and put masking tape around it.. go in 1/2 way between the top two righthand clips and prise up... use another tool (wrapped) as leverage so that you can increasingly get underneath the trim. Now read carefully... For these clips, as all the others, you will put so much pressure that you will be SURE that the trim will break, and just before it does, it will pop out. Drink a beer and congratulate yourself... All i could think was "crap how much is this thing?", then "do i really need bluetooth"?
c) Move downwards, popping out each clip in turn.. as you do the last two, on the top left, the whole thing will leap out at you and hopefully not smack you in the face..(yes it did.)
3. Use a 7mm nut driver take out 2 bolts and remove the power plugs and lay to right of console
4. Ditto a/c controls
5. You will now see the onstar unit a grey/silver metal box laying what was directly behind the power accessory bit.. Dont even think about it.
6. Remove the radio (4 bolts). At this point i used a piece of string and dangled the radio up and out of the way (looped around sunvisor bracket).. this is far better than trying to remove the antenna plug and risking the anti theft crap.
7. The onstar is held in with two plastic spring clips, left and right..they are stiff..i used a screwdriver then prised one end up, then the other.
a) the onstar does not appear to come out much.. a tight fit but insert your hand (or kid or wifes hand) far back, grab the loom and p-u-l-l slowly, and you will extract another 4-6" of cable.
b) my truck only had two connectors, remove them, remove the gps input and antenna output and lob the onstar over your shoulder.
8. Install the bluestar
a) plug the two plugs into the bluestar
b) Insert, plugs first on LHS, and use the foam wrapper, folded to jam firmly into place..no it aint going anywhere.. but hey, use something fancy if you want.
c) for PC access, i purchased http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZM ... 00_details This cable sneaks out the back of the console and leaves a USB female where only rats can see.
9. With all the crap dangling, go ahead...I know you want to.. pair it up and make a call
10. Insert radio, a/c & power accessory strip..make sure they line up vertically
11. put the trim back on..this is stressless and takes 1/100 the time to take the sucker off.

What works..
* button on wheel starts and ends calls
* volume control works
* caller ID comes on radio and DIC (driver information center..i had to look that crap up).. you know, where your milometer is.
* obviously onstar buttons work too
* stock mic settings were good, reported excellent call quality up to 70mph on highway.

So its a success, plan 2hrs, assuming you read this, and have the stuff all at hand.

photos attached..
Attachments
Groton-20120412-00005.jpg
USB female, by drivers knee..
Groton-20120412-00005.jpg (182.04 KiB) Viewed 31749 times
Groton-20120412-00004.jpg
Bluestar well jammed in place..vents not obstructed
Groton-20120412-00004.jpg (229.95 KiB) Viewed 31749 times
Groton-20120412-00006.jpg
a/c and power accessory dressed to the right......
Groton-20120412-00006.jpg (235.71 KiB) Viewed 31749 times
Mystic38

Re: 2008 Silverado LTZ Installation

Postby Canadian808 » September 29th, 2012, 2:16 pm

I watched the video and instructions posted by mystic38 and literally was able to replace my OnStar with BlueStar in 20 minutes. Pay attention closely to his instructions and you'll have no problems getting installed and pairing your phone with Bluetooth. The only extra suggestion is to first protect the dash surrounding your trim ring with masking tape before you start prying off the trim around your radio/etc. I also found inserting 2 4" putty knives made it easy to pry out the trim. I never felt worried about it breaking. The putty knives slide in pretty well (it is tight) but once I got the second one it the trim popped out with very little leverage.
This Bluestar replacement is awesome. It was a little over $200 and works great with my phones and the steering wheel controls. Best investment I've made in a while. I've had this truck for 4 years and wish I discovered it a long time ago. GM needs to replace OnStar with Bluestar from CoStar.
Canadian808

Re: 2008 Silverado LTZ Installation

Postby The Right Kind » May 31st, 2013, 8:36 am

Thanks for posting this tutorial, very helpful.
I followed your procedure plus that of the video and it went pretty fast.
A couple things I did find out searching the web was to leave the Onstar in with the two antenna wires connected.
If these are removed the compass and thermometer in the mirror will not work (or so I'm told)
I was able to put the BlueSTAR right on top of the Onstar and still fit everything back together.
There was a long screw protruding 1 1/2" from the very back that didn't let me put the BlueSTAR in all the way.
I just cut it back to 1/8th of an inch and it fit like it was made for the space.

I think this is one of the best mods I've done to my truck, works like a champ!
The Right Kind

Re: 2008 Silverado Installation

Postby zychr » November 5th, 2014, 5:23 pm

New 2014 unit
/Users/zychr/Desktop/IMG_0177.JPG
If you have a 2008 Silverado without the big rim around the radio et al then the Onstar module is behind the lower center panel. Leave the radio and everything alone, take off the panel under the steering column (2 phillips screws underneath, the release brake bolt which is 10mm), and pop off the cover, it wont break. then two 7mm bolts from the center cover, pop it off and there is a large silver box about three times the size of the Bluestar box.
I plugged in the unit, made a call, adjusted the volume and it works absolutely perfectly. Best $269 i've ever spent. No problems at all.
zychr

Return to Silverado