07 cab chevy silverado classic

07 cab chevy silverado classic

Postby renner » May 23rd, 2011, 5:27 pm

where do I find my Onstar module in my vehicle its a 07 classic 3500 crew cab LT with onstar. Do i have to make sure my onstar service is off?? Thanks in advance
renner

Re: 07 cab chevy silverado classic

Postby Th3Krah » July 8th, 2012, 10:32 pm

I just received my BlueStar and had to compile bits and pieces of information from many different threads on different forums. It seemed that for the '07 Silverado, the general consensus was that the OnStar unit would be below the Radio & AC controls, behind the lower dash trim. I essentially went in blind and here are my findings...

1) Grab the top right corner of the trim that surrounds the radio and AC controls and pull out. This piece is held in with clips.

2) I don't think you necessarily have to, but I believe it's easiest go ahead and unbolt the radio and AC controls. I actually had enough slack with the factory radio harness to set the radio on top of my dash without disconnecting. You will want to disconnect the AC controls.

3) Next is to remove the lower dash trim. This is where I was really unsure and couldn't find any online info specific to it's removal. After throughly inspecting with a light, I noticed on the bottom that the piece was held on via clips. I simply grabbed the bottom of the trim and yanked out with a decent amount of force and it popped right out except for around the ashtray. This was OK because the OnStar module was exposed.

4) The OnStar module is held in with retention clips. Simply pull one side back to free the unit. Unplug all of the connects and reconnect the J1 & J2 OEM harnesses into the BlueStar and you will notice that the LED light on the unit will begin to blink (that is if you didn't disconnect the battery like me).

* I read on these forums where others said to leave the Blue and Purple connectors plugged into the OnStar unit as they are how the Compass and Temperature are displayed on the rear view mirror. This is NOT the case for me. I completely removed the OnStar module and left the blue and purple connectors disconnected.

* If you plan to route a USB cable like myself, I would recommend finding one with a 90* mini USB connector. The straight mini USB connector will make it difficult to find a spot to mount the unit. When you go to connect the trim back, you will be putting pressure on that long connector and run the risk of damaging the female port on the BlueStar. I also recommend using some 3M sticky velcro to the unit in place on the back side of the trim.

* If you find the route, it's possible to run the other end of the USB cable trough the dash and down into the Glove box for a clean install.

Once I get the 90* usb cable and 3M velcro that I described, I will try to make a YouTube video on disassembly and reassembly.
Th3Krah

Return to Silverado