BlueStar Installation for 2007 Buick LaCrosse

BlueStar Installation for 2007 Buick LaCrosse

Postby Jaag » December 29th, 2013, 1:01 pm

Hi All-
Here is an installation guide for a 2007 Buick LaCrosse CXL (I'm sure it will be either exactly the same or at least similar for all same year LaCrosse models.) Also, this forum only allows me to post three pictures/attachments, so I am limited in my ability to graphically demonstrate the process, but I've done the best I can with the three pictures allotted to me. (If a forum admin wants to help us all by allowing a few more pictures, it would be appreciated.) I hope this helps...

1. The OnStar unit can be found under the dash by removing the bottom of the center console. I happened to have a plastic spatula/scraper from a drywall repair kit, and that worked well-- without damaging my console. I believe the best technique is to insert the tool into the front corners of the bottom panel of the console as shown here:
Panel Removal.jpg
Panel Removal.jpg (70.28 KiB) Viewed 24821 times

2. The actual J1 & J2 plugs that are fastened to the OEM OnStar box are probably best viewed from the passenger-side foot well, but all of my photos are taken from the driver's side (U.S model vehicle) because I didn't realize until after I was well under way that this was the case. After I managed to pull the bottom of the console off, I became a circus contortionist and wedged my torso into the proper position to look up into the wiring underneath the dashboard. I *think* you may be able to complete this whole process in about 5 minutes by simply unplugging the J-plugs from your current OnStar board and then plugging them into your BluStar unit, shove it up into the dash and you're done. I was not that fortunate, because I was compelled to attempt a better form of installation which proved to not be possible. That said, here is the photo of the OEM OnStar box in my vehicle (looking up into the dash from under the steering wheel):
OnStar Box.jpg
OnStar Box.jpg (70.06 KiB) Viewed 24821 times

3. The J-plugs can be removed by pressing down on the small tab and pulling as shown here:
J-Plug Removal.jpg
J-Plug Removal.jpg (140.62 KiB) Viewed 24821 times

4. Then all you have to do is insert the plugs into the Blustar box (which can't be shown due to limited pictures/attachments on this forum).

5. I wanted to put the Blustar box into the OEM box/casing, but the board of the BluStar is longer than the OEM OnStar version so that was not really possible. I decided the best solution was just to plug in the BluStar box, shove it up into the wiring area, reassemble the factory OnStar box (just in case I ever needed to revert for some reason), and then replace the bottom panel of the console.

That's pretty much it. One word of warning... in my research to figure out how to do this, I found one site that led me on a wild goose chase. A YouTube video on this subject instructed people to remove a box from the trunk to complete this process. That box in the trunk is the XM radio and has nothing to do with the OnStar system in the Buick LaCrosse. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do what I can to assist.

-- Jaag
Jaag

Re: BlueStar Installation for 2007 Buick LaCrosse

Postby zaccardif » January 27th, 2015, 6:32 pm

I just installed a BlueStar II in my 2008 Buick Lacrosse but can't get it to work reliably with my Galaxy X3mini phone. It will pair and link but when attempting to make calls it just breaks the Bluetooth link intermittently. Same thing happens when it attempts to answer an incoming call. Have not been able to use it all. I emailed the tech line but have not received an answer. Also does anyone have a telephone number for the company?
zaccardif

Return to LaCrosse