Onstar Module Location

Onstar Module Location

Postby Firem5 » August 6th, 2011, 2:41 pm

Where is the module located in a 2008 Acadia?
Firem5

Re: Onstar Module Location

Postby Firem5 » August 12th, 2011, 8:22 am

It is behind the interior panel in the cargo area in the ral left corner.
Thanks to the CoStar team. Great customer service!
Firem5

Postby jjmmagoo » February 20th, 2012, 11:07 am

Very interested in getting this product for my 2007 GMC acadia SLT. Where would the module be located for this vehicle? How hard is it to install for somebody who is pretty inept with regards to cars and installing electrical stuff in cars??? Looks like a wonderful product!
jjmmagoo

Postby jjmmagoo » February 26th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Just installed mine. Fairly simple! I am a little hazy on the whole gmlan. . After disconnecting the wires from the onstar unit there were the black wire wires still connected. Am I supposed to take that out of the unit and install on the costar unit ??? Am I supposed remove the onstar unit???

It seems to be working, I have it synced up o my wifes iPhone. Is there I old find out about any firm ware updates etc, etc, etc.

Thanks!
jjmmagoo

Postby williewin » June 19th, 2012, 1:36 am

I too had trouble locating the OnStar module. I was able to triangulate from several other web forums to finally find it and plug it in. Here are my suggestions:

The Onstar module is in the left rear area of the vehicle. The best way to get to it is to open the rear hatch and then locate the panel that looks like it has vents on it. The panel will have a plastic piece to push down on; this will open and you will see the tire jack. I found it easier to remove the jack.

The official name of the module is: Vehicle Communication Unit. It is a silver box located above where the jack was. I was expecting to find a box the same size as the BlueSTAR box (as seen in other YouTube videos), but it is not the same size. The one in my car did not have any writing on it except for some labels stamped into the metal named J1 and J2. It has other wires connected to it that I left connected. There are little tabs the you have to push in (on the back side of the jack) that allow you to pull the cables out. I found it was easier to use both hands - one to push in the tab while pulling with the other hand.

Just plug them into your BlueSTAR box and you should be good to go. I also added a mini USB cable to the BlueSTAR box so I can plug my laptop in to program it as needed.

Good luck!
Attachments
OnStar Module.jpg
OnStar Module - Silver Box
OnStar Module.jpg (234.24 KiB) Viewed 37965 times
Remove Jack.jpg
Remove tire jack
Remove Jack.jpg (215.73 KiB) Viewed 37965 times
williewin

Postby DennyJD » February 11th, 2015, 9:07 pm

[b]Williewin:

Thank you very much or an excellent post on 19 June 2012 regarding how to locate the OnStar module in a GMC Acadia. I found it VERY helpful. :D

DennyJD[/b]
DennyJD

Return to Acadia