2007 Sierra 1500 SLE Bluestar Install

2007 Sierra 1500 SLE Bluestar Install

Postby Wellstood » August 20th, 2011, 2:10 pm

I've been searching the NET trying to figure out where the Onstar module is located on my 2007 Sierra 1500 SLE without much luck at all.
I believe that it's behind the radio (because I've looked behind the glove box, and don't see it). And if it is behind the radio, I can't find any info on the best way to get at it.
In other words, two questions:

1.) Can anyone direct me to the Onstar module for my truck?
2.) If it is behind the radio, are there any instructions on how to remove the dash and get at it?

Thanks very much.

Chris
Wellstood

Re: 2007 Sierra 1500 SLE Bluestar Install

Postby mrcostar » August 21st, 2011, 7:45 pm

Should be underneath the radio. You should find it behind the instrument panel lower center trim panel. You can email tech support for detailed pdf.
MR. COSTAR
mrcostar
Site Admin

Postby tonkcreek » January 15th, 2013, 9:08 pm

I have removed the AC/Heater Panel and also the Radio Module. I do not see ANYTHING which looks like the BlueStar module (which is supposed to be the OnStar module). Once again this vehicle is a 2007 Sierra 1500 SLE four door truck. Please help. I am very discouraged at this point and I cannot find the module. Thanks. P.S. Your post said to contact technical support via email. Is this Costar tech support or GMC tech support??

Three hours later. I checked under and around the glove box, the radio, the heater controls, the steering wheel, the brakes, the console, the rear seats and I never found the OnStar module. Assuming that it IS located behind the radio, it is virtually impossible to remove the inside casing which surrounds the radio. It is one huge piece of plastic and the best I could tell, you are going to have to remove the entire dashboard because I could not even find the appropriate screws. I will wait for one more week for your reply and hopefully your solution to my problem. If you have not responded satisfactorily I will be returning the BlueStar module for a complete refund due to your thirty (30) day return policy. Thanks again, and I sincerely hope this problem can be reconciled.
tonkcreek

Postby mrcostar » January 16th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Hi,
The onstar module does not look like the bluestar module, it is a silver box and is much bigger.
Only the two white connectors from the onstar box plug into the bluestar.
You can find vehicle specific installation instructions here ...
http://www.costartech.com/pb/Vehicle%20 ... _Info.html

And if you look in some threads for other years (2008 in particular) you will see some good pics.
2007 and up GMC, chevy, cadillac trucks are all very similar where the onstar is placed.

Note techsupport email is best place for support, this forum is mostly for users.
MR. COSTAR
mrcostar
Site Admin

Postby tonkcreek » February 2nd, 2013, 12:42 am

Well, I finally got the BlueStar installed. It was not that difficult after I finally found the OnStar module. IT IS LOCATED IN THE PANEL BELOW THE RADIO & AC PANEL (NOT BEHIND THEM)! I am going to attempt to explain what it takes to install the module because I know it can be frustrating.
First, pull the shroud from around the radio & AC. It has no screws and is held in place by clips. Second, remove one screw from the panel underneath the steering column. Third, lift up the right side of this panel and that will expose two (2) screws on the panel below the radio & AC panel. Then remove these two screws and then remove the panel and it will expose the OnStar module. Simply follow the accompanying instructions and install the BlueStar. I installed a USB cable in the appropriate slot and placed the cable inside the glove box compartment for future updates because the BlueStar cannot be reached without removing the dashboard.
NOTES FOR REFERENCE: I LOVE THE BLUESTAR. IT IS FANTASTIC!!!! It would really be nice if the BlueStar would bluetooth GPS and radio. I believe the hardware will support this because it works so seamlessly with the OnStar. This can probably be accomplished through a software update. Anyway, Thanks and I hope this helps the next person and contrary to what one poster sarcastically commented, it is NOT as easy to find as the cupholders!!!!!
tonkcreek

Return to Sierra