2006 GMC Sierra with Steering wheel controls

2006 GMC Sierra with Steering wheel controls

Postby wankykootiepooper » September 24th, 2011, 6:13 pm

I installed the Bluestar 2010 in my 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 Extended Cab Duramax with the Bose Premium Sound system with steering wheel mounted controls about two weeks ago.

Here is a quick trick:

To see the Onstar module, just open your Glovebox. On the right side of the glovebox "bucket", you will see a little tab that stops the glovebox from going to far out when you open it. This is the tab that the glovebox rests on when the glovebox is left open.

You can gently press in a leftward direction on the side of the glovebox "bucket", and the tab will clear the right hand wall of the glovebox assembly that stops it. The glovebox will now fall all the way open. Your stuff will now fall out and wind up on the passenger floor mat.

You now look through this access to just right of center of the glovebox opening, and you will see the Onstar Module mounted just behind the airbag. You can easily reach the two white connectors and remove them from the Onstar Module.

You then simply push the white connectors into the BlueStar. I then used a couple of cable ties to secure the Bluestar to the wiring harnesses and left the USB cable dangling on the floor until I was certain everything worked.

Next, I started the truck, paired the BlueStar with my phone (which is a Motorola Android Defy). The one thing I noticed with the BlueStar is that it is faster to link to the bluetooth services on my phone than even a stock GM bluetooth system in a 2011 model year. Almost as soon as I start the truck, the bluetooth connection is there and ready to use.

The BlueStar works when I push the talk button on my steering wheel to either answer an incoming call, or call someone. The Motorola has a voice command application that starts up as soon as I push the talk button on the steering wheel, so it's all hands free.

The only surprise was when I turn the vehicle off, the phone call drops right away, even before I open the door. The radio is still powered up and the bluetooth connection to the phone is still active, but the phone call won't go through the BlueStar. This is a relatively small issue.

All in all, well worth the money and the 30 minutes I spent putting it in. This is way, way, better than a headset. You don't need to worry about it, just jump in and go.
wankykootiepooper

Re: 2006 GMC Sierra with Steering wheel controls

Postby navybuff » December 12th, 2011, 6:47 pm

Just thought that I would comment on my installation....

5 minutes to install and it does work after the key is turned off and before the door is opened, I am very jazzed about this!!!
navybuff

Re: 2006 GMC Sierra with Steering wheel controls

Postby wankykootiepooper » March 29th, 2012, 5:49 pm

After about 6 months fighting with this, I'm tearing it out. I've never been able to get this reliable, and my phone works fine with a built in GM bluetooth in our newer vehicle.
wankykootiepooper

Return to Sierra