2006 Cadillac SRX

2006 Cadillac SRX

Postby September » March 14th, 2013, 7:27 pm

I wanted to share my experiences with everyone in hopes that it might help you.
I have a 2006 Cadillac SRX. I watched this video that helped me get to the OnStar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIA5UnI2 ... e=youtu.be (PA15-VETTE Cadillac SRX - PART 1 of 2 Installation - YouTube)

I installed the Bluestar this past Saturday and after 3 days I started experiencing difficulty with the volume. I had thought that the unit was not working because it showed connected but I could not hear anything. Then I discovered that the volume was ALL THE WAY down. I don't know how that happened because I surely did not do it. (OR MAYBE someone hit the mute button on the steering wheel)

I contacted tech support and Chris recommended doing a firmware upgrade. I wish that there would have been a section on here that gave a complete list of possible things that might go wrong and then solutions..

FIRST OF ALL - turn off all of your phones bluetooth. I had mine turned off but my husbands was turned on and he was within distance and it never ocurred to me. Tech Support told me that things work better if the car is asleep. I didn't know what that means but I assume that means that the bluetooth is NOT IS USE.

I downloaded and installed the program and the current software. I connect my computer and followed the instructions on forcing the VCP driver to install. I chose "Program" then chose the current firmware. Everything appeared to go fine until the end and then I got a pop up window with a list of Errors. After this I could not get the computer to recognize the bluestar. I tried everything (I thought) I restarted the computer, uninstalled the software and reinstalled. Removed drivers and reinstalled. I turned the car on and off. I tried turning the bluetooth on my phone on and off. Then I even tried crying. .LOL that didn't work either.

I sent tech support an email asing for help. Here was the response. . . . . . . . .
When the BlueSTAR is functioning normally, it puts out a beacon symbol so the CPU application can “locate” it on the proper COM port. If you can no longer discover the device automatically, it means that the unit is not operating normally. You still might be able to recover the unit, since it is possible that the unit is in “bootloader” mode.

This is the mode it goes into when first powered up, for about 5 seconds, before going into normal operating mode. IT is also the mode that the CPU puts it in right before starting an upgrade. So if the unit is stuck I bootloader mode, it should be able to be reprogrammed with the CPU programmer.

Now, for some reason, it appears to be best to program the device with the car turned off and asleep. This means that there is little to no activity on the vehicle data bus. This will happen automatically with the key off, and the door open after a few seconds all lights go out. The car is effectively shut down. This seems the best time to program the BlueSTAR as there is no vehicle data bus activity to interfere with it. I JUST DISCONNECTED MY BATTERY - MY ONSTAR FUSE IS UNDER A SEAT

Another piece of information is that the unit can be powered off of USB power. So should you locate the onstar fuse, you can actually leave it out during programming. This too should prove helpful, as it will also allow you to control the powering of the BlueSTAR via the USB cable. Should it be that the main code got corrupted somehow, you can unplug the USB cable and plug it back in to get into bootloader mode. At which time, you will have about 5 seconds to program the device before it goes into corrupted code.

So should the earlier steps not work, you can try this. Locate the proper COM port, select the firmware file and have everything ready to go, then unplug the USB connector, plug it back in, and hit program. This usually works to bring back a unit that has corrupted main code.

If you can get this far, and successfully reprogram the code I will want to make sure that your EEPROM values have not been corrupted as well. This stores the configuration of your device including what hardware revision you have, and also stores your Volume, which seems to have been a root issue to begin with. When you set volume, did you do it with the mirror controls or the phone? Mirror controls will set the default volume of the unit and should only need to be set once.

Lastly, the BlueSTAR is capable of A2DP streaming with version 12-0718 and up and the latest DSP. (You should have this already installed as unit is relatively new).

You do however, need to enable the A2DP and AVRCP profiles in the Configuration menu of the CPU. And since the onstar audio path used for calls is only MONO, you must connect the output headphone jack on the bluestar to an aux input on your radio to hear stereo music.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My OnStar fuse is under the rear seat somewhere. I just disconnected the battery.

After this I was able to sucessfully connect. I did already have the current firmware. I entered the CONFIGURE option of the software and changed the volume to the default of 9 and hit apply.

I will let you know if I have any other problems.

Oh and if your MIC volume is muted or appears to not be working. . .try the red + button on the mirror. This is the mic mute button.
HOWEVER - Everytime I get in my car and go to use the bluetooth my mic is muted. . . Haven't been able to solve this issue yet.

If someone can help. . Please reply
September

Return to SRX