2002 Cadillac Eldorado

2002 Cadillac Eldorado

Postby foxtrot » November 4th, 2011, 12:05 pm

While online last night, I purchased a Bluestar(from Costartech) to replace the Onstar VCU in my 2002 Eldorado. This is a really great product!

I just want to confirm that this will work in my application?

Thank you.
foxtrot

Re: 2002 Cadillac Eldorado

Postby foxtrot » November 5th, 2011, 7:26 am

This applications guide shows the Eldorado as a Class 2 vehicle:
http://www.costartech.com/pb/products/d ... Guide2.pdf
foxtrot

Postby foxtrot » November 6th, 2011, 9:35 am

I figured that I would do some exploratory work before the Bluestar arrives.

I removed the onstar module from the Eldorado and discovered(with some info from Chris) that it is the old style analog module(red/blue connectors) and will need to be rewired.

It was actually easy to remove -- the unit is located in the trunk. To start I removed the trunk carpeting that is on the underside of the rear deck. This is held in place by four fasteners under the edge of the rear deck. The onstar unit is located on the back side of the rear seat in the center. It is mounted on a plastic holder that is held in place by four screws.

Was wondering what is involved in rewiring the red/blue connectors to be compatible with Bluestar? It would be nice if there were "gender changer" cable assemblies available for purchase that did the this conversion.

I maybe will install Bluestar in my 2006 instead. :-)
foxtrot

Postby UberGeek » February 12th, 2012, 7:38 pm

I just installed the Bluestar in my 2001 Eldorado and had the same issue. With a lot of help from Chris, I was able to alter the wiring harness to accept the Bluestar. So far it works pretty well.

I was trying to save money by making my own. I got the connector plugs out of a junkyard, ordered new connector pins from mouser.com (Part # 571-175265-1) and used an $8 D-Sub crimping tool from RadioShack. Not quite as neat and tidy as factory but it works. Once I had all the parts, it took me a couple of hours.

Or, Chris used to make these and sell them for $35...maybe he will do the same for you.

Or, if you can find one in a junkyard, you can pull the harness from a 2003 CTS or DTS. I have heard the CTS is the same and if the DTS is not the same it will only need minor alteration. I think they are about $85 from the dealer?
UberGeek

Postby O2AFAC67 » May 29th, 2013, 6:05 pm

UberGeek wrote:I just installed the Bluestar in my 2001 Eldorado and had the same issue. With a lot of help from Chris, I was able to alter the wiring harness to accept the Bluestar. So far it works pretty well.

I was trying to save money by making my own. I got the connector plugs out of a junkyard, ordered new connector pins from mouser.com (Part # 571-175265-1) and used an $8 D-Sub crimping tool from RadioShack. Not quite as neat and tidy as factory but it works. Once I had all the parts, it took me a couple of hours.

Or, Chris used to make these and sell them for $35...maybe he will do the same for you.

Or, if you can find one in a junkyard, you can pull the harness from a 2003 CTS or DTS. I have heard the CTS is the same and if the DTS is not the same it will only need minor alteration. I think they are about $85 from the dealer?
And did you get the Bluestar unit to work OK in your 2001 Eldorado? TIA!
Best,
Ron
O2AFAC67

Postby UberGeek » July 21st, 2013, 2:08 pm

Yes, I did. Have been using it for over a year now.
UberGeek

Return to BLUESTAR 2010