No power to Bluestar?

No power to Bluestar?

Postby 6thFairway » March 15th, 2013, 2:40 pm

Yesterday I couldn't get Bluestar to pair and none of the mirror buttons did anything/ no light on the right side of the mirror. It looks like there is no power to the Bluestar. This is one day after the vehicle battery was disconnected to do other work under the hood, away from the Bluestar.

I had a quick check today by the shop and all fuses and other power functions in the car are fine. So it looks like either the device is unplugged somehow, or by weird coincidence the Bluestar died right after other work was done elsewhere in the vehicle. It's a '07 Tahoe and the shop didn't have time to get to the module today-- it's buried under and behind the temperature controls in the dash so it requires some work to get to it.

Anything I should look for? If it's not just unplugged, this is not looking good for me...
6thFairway

Re: No power to Bluestar?

Postby mrcostar » March 17th, 2013, 7:52 am

Some older units have been known to suffer code corruption when the battery gets disconnected.
You should be able to reprogram the unit using the CPU application.
If the unit flashes RED/GREEN/OFF (bootloader) mode when first plugged in, then goes dead, this is probably what happened.
MR. COSTAR
mrcostar
Site Admin

Postby johnnyspeed » March 18th, 2013, 2:44 pm

Hello, this happens to me all the time. This unit really pisses me off because when the Bluestar "forgets" and no lights are visible, I have to unplug my Bluestar and plug my OnStar back in. Then I unplug it and plug the BLuestar back in. I then have to pair my iphone with the Bluestar and hope it won't forget again.

Usually this happens at least once a month.

My biggest pain is that I have to remove my rear seat head rests, remove my C Pillar sail panels, their associated plastics just to get to the Module itself. It sits on the rear speaker panel on my 2009 Pontiac G5. It takes in upward of 1 hour to unplug and plug back in. I am not impressed with this system.

Mine will usually "forget" when I am listening to my Iphone through the USB port on my factory radio. If someone calls me, I'm screwed.

I have contacted support with no help at all.

My boss and I purchased two of these, his is in a 2008 Chevrolet Sierra and it does the same thing. It keeps "forgetting".

Mine does this with a full battery charge. It's hit and miss every 30 days.
johnnyspeed

Postby 6thFairway » March 19th, 2013, 2:29 pm

Great. So I've got it flashing Red/Green/Off like you said above. Then it dies. I can't get it to recognize the USB so I'm going to try a different laptop to see if there's anything wrong configuration-wise on the laptop.

This is getting annoying because in my '07 Tahoe I have to take apart the dash and get down underneath the temp control unit. It's difficult, and expensive when I pay someone else to get in there.

Hopefully I can get this thing back to life. It would be a lot simpler if it was in a more convenient spot in the 07 Tahoe-- like behind the glove box as it is in other models.
6thFairway

Postby 6thFairway » March 19th, 2013, 2:30 pm

To be clear, at this point I've removed the device and I'm putting the OnStar back in while I try to revive the device. My local auto shop took apart the dash for me.
6thFairway

Postby 6thFairway » March 19th, 2013, 4:06 pm

So what's the trick to reprogramming while it's flashing red/green/off? I tried getting the file ready and then plugging in right after I selected "upgrade". Nothing seems to make the bluestar 2010 responsive. I always get serial read timeout.
6thFairway

Postby 6thFairway » April 3rd, 2013, 9:14 am

Finally got it to come back to life after many many many attempts to select the firmware file, then unplug the unit and plug it back in. While it is still flashing, RED/GREEN/OFF, select the UPGRADE button. It wasn't something that worked the first time-- it failed "serial read time out" over and over but finally eventually worked.

Unfortunately, now I've got to remove my dashboard and temp controls in order to reinstall this thing in my Tahoe. I wish GM had picked a more accessible place for Onstar in the 2008 Tahoe.
6thFairway

Postby willieg » April 3rd, 2013, 12:12 pm

I just installed unit in a saturn sky. i get red/blue led lights then a solid red blink then nothing. my iPhone did recognize the unit but will not pair any ides before i give up and send unit back
willieg

Postby chung » April 21st, 2013, 6:36 pm

Mine hit this as well and I cannot figure out how to get it to read to update either. If someone does figure this out it would be good to know a solution.
chung

Postby chung » April 22nd, 2013, 6:10 pm

I ended up doing what 6thFairway did. I had to manually select the com port them try to flash a new firmware by hitting update until it takes.
chung

Return to BLUESTAR 2010