BlueStar Draining Battery

BlueStar Draining Battery

Postby theberm » June 18th, 2014, 12:17 pm

I received my shiny new BlueStar approximately 1 month ago. This past weekend I did not drive my car (2009 G8) at all and on Monday morning, to my surprise, my battery was dead. Intially I did not think the issue had anything to do with my BlueStar module though on a previous occasion my car was running in a Battery Safe Mode. My owners manual stated that this message shows up when the battery voltage is not optimal.

So I went though the normal battery troubleshooting issues, I drove the car to work after jumping the battery and the car did not die - the alternator is working. The car started after getting to work, and later in the day, thus the battery can hold a charge. I am confused...the next day I received the Battery Safe Mode message again - this time when I got to work I unplugged the BlueStar for the next 24 hours and the Battery Safe Mode message did not reappear.

Based on this information I believe that the BlueStar module is actually staying on (instead of sleeping) and draining my battery, is this something that I can fix (firmware update) or is there a setting for OnStar to ensure power is shut off to the module? Thanks in advance for any guidance.
theberm

Re: BlueStar Draining Battery

Postby mrcostar » June 23rd, 2014, 9:25 pm

Sleep mode can easily be identified by looking at the rear view mirror indicator.
This should go off completely when in sleep.
If it is remains flashing after you exit the vehicle for more than a few seconds, you might have some after market equipment on the data bus that is keeping bluestar awake.
Contact tech support for more details.
Thanks
MR. COSTAR
mrcostar
Site Admin

Postby theberm » June 25th, 2014, 9:21 am

Thanks for the information, I will check my rear view mirror indicator and follow up with Tech Support as necessary. Is there any other way to determine if sleep mode is active? I assume that the blinking red LED on the BlueStar unit means that it is searching for bluetooth signal, similar to green LED indicating a bluetooth link. When I shut the vehicle down the blinking red LED continues, but I always assumed that this was due to the unit not yet in sleep mode. Is this assumption correct? Thanks again for the support!
theberm

Postby Chuck25 » June 30th, 2014, 10:44 am

theberm, I had this issue once as well - totally drained my battery once. To fix, I unplugged Bluestar and plugged it back in. Haven't had an issue since, but I do check to make sure the red light blinks then turns off about 45 seconds after I shut the door.
Chuck25

Postby bgabbard » July 11th, 2014, 10:13 am

Just had this issue with my 08 Pontiac G8. Just updated to the latest beta firmware, so we'll see what happens
bgabbard

Return to BLUESTAR 2010