Audio streaming and quality

Audio streaming and quality

Postby Bluestarjim » April 18th, 2015, 8:01 am

I have found several posts on streaming and am trying to piece them together. It seems that streaming is capable but it does not take advantage of the stereo system? And you must have an aux plug? If that's true it seems that this is agree at seamless solution for phone but limited for music? Where as other conversions are not as good for phone but better for music? What do you guys think?
Bluestarjim

Re: Audio streaming and quality

Postby jtjavins » April 21st, 2015, 8:55 pm

If I understand your question correctly, then yes, the unit will stream audio from your phone; however, it relies on the older OnStar architecture of the vehicle and only streams in mono. I believe it is specifically the left channel (someone please correct me if I am wrong). This is, as I understand it, a limit of the OnStar system and not something that can be overcome with a firmware update. To receive stereo streaming, you must run a cable from the unit to the aux port of your vehicle. Assuming your vehicle has one, which mine does not.

If you are dealing with a vehicle such as mine--which does not have any sort of aux port--and do not wish to drill holes and run wire, I can provide a suggestion which as worked well for me. Most phones have the ability to output in mono only. You can usually find this setting under the accessibility options. I believe it is meant for those who are deaf in one ear and so need both channels to be pumped through a single side of a set of headphones. However, it also works wonderfully for the purposes of using the Costar as-is to stream music. Perhaps there are some people who will scoff at the sound quality that results, but I would argue that your average person will not be able to tell any appreciable difference. If it is a serious issue for you, then feel free to run wires to your heart's content. :D
jtjavins

Return to BLUESTAR 2010