Just installed

Just installed

Postby normanrs » February 20th, 2012, 10:03 am

Had the Bluestar 2010 module installed in my 2012 Sonic. Here are my notes:

1. The Onstar module is behind the passenger-side glovebox, behind the blower motor.
2. I had the Car Toys here in Denver do the installation. They charged $125 and did an excellent job. (If you're in Denver and want to use them, ask for Jason the install manager.)
3. First time I paired my phone I tested it on the way home from Car Toys. Worked great - call quality was good.
4. The next day I went in my car and it wouldn't connect to my phone. Bluestar was still listed in my phone's bluetooth, but it wouldn't connect. So I changed my phone name in it's bluetooth settings, then held the red Onstar button for 8 seconds (read the windows is between 7 and 10) to reset the Bluestar bluetooth list. Then I repaired it with my phone.
5. Now my phone reconnects to Bluestar - but it doesn't want to disconnect. It stayed connected all night (my bedroom is above my garage). When I bring my phone out of range it disconnects, but walk into the garage and it reconnects - even though the car is off (and has been off a long time, overnight in fact). So now I'm a little worried that Bluestar will drain my battery, and that that I'll answer my phone in my bedroom and won't hear anything.

I guess I'm still working out the kinks. Assuming I do, I'll be very happy with the unit.

(Costar - any advice here?)
normanrs

Re: Just installed

Postby normanrs » April 8th, 2012, 11:51 pm

Update: Chris was able to resolve my issues, and now the system works great. Only thing missing is that the dashboard digital compass no longer works. I did have to use the USB port to connect the system to a laptop and update the firmware, so definitely run an accessible USB cable when you install. I canceled OnStar before doing the install, in hopes it would make it go smoother - not sure if it helped or not. Regardless I now have working Bluetooth for a total cost of about $400 - FAR less then having to move up to the LT trim AND get the Chevy connectivity package. I get a small sense of satisfaction every time I press the OnStar button in the knowledge that I don't have to use Chevy's stupid service and found a workaround for their equally stupid features packaging. (Other than that, I love my Sonic btw.)

Thanks Chris for all the help and for a great product.

Norm Schultz
normanrs

Return to Sonic